UE4 Character Cel Shading pack is a customizable material asset pack to help UE4 users easily make quality cartoon character outlook as in Naruto Ultimate and Guilty Gear Xrd. The pack can be found here: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/character-cel-shading-pack.
The cel shading materials are designed as surface materials so that they can be independently applied to different objects. By doing so, users can freely mix different styles in a scene. For example, as in many Japanese animations, while cel shading is applied on characters, other objects such as buildings, trees, hairs, and weapons may have different (usually more realistic) rendering styles. We believe this kind of style-mixing might be hardly achieved by post-processing approaches like the UE4’s official cartoon tutorial. To provide easy control of wide variety cartoon appearance, our materials support interactive controls of border location between bright/dark cels, cel brightness, smoothness of cel boundary, line thickness/threshold/color, etc. The materials also support many standard maps including normal, specular, gloss, and AO maps.
Our line drawing material is designed to better detect important lines by using more information than depth discontinuity. It also automatically controls the lines to better preserve character appearance when depth changes.
The Mixamo characters in our demo video are not included in the pack. Instead, a detailed document about the scene reproduction and pre-setup level with dummy characters are included in the pack for easy and precise reproduction.
• 2 main customizable cel shading materials
• 1 post-processing line drawing material
• 1 trivial diffuse material for floor
• 5 1D-texture-based cel shading material instances tuned for Mixamo Characters
• 5 analytic cel shading material instances tuned for Mixamo Characters
• 1 line drawing material instance for Mixamo Scene
• 3 differently configured 1D-texture-based cel shading material instances used for the starter pack’s Material Preview Mesh
• 3 differently configured analytic cel shading material instances used for the starter pack’s Material Preview Mesh
• 1 line drawing material instance for the starter pack’s Material Preview Mesh
• Several functions for image filtering
• Several functions for arithmetic operations
• Several functions for shading-related vector computation
• Several functions for advanced interpolation
• Several functions for line detection
• Several functions for complex conditional expression
Physically-Based Rendering: No
Number of Materials: 4
Number of Material Functions: 16
Number of Material Instances: 18
• Cel Shading – Desktop and Mobile
• Line Drawing – Desktop (Our post-processing shader depends on features that ES2 doesn’t support.)
• (English/Japanese/Korean) A document about Cel shading lighting integration/control
• (English/Japanese/Korean) A document about reproducing the demo video scene
• (English/Japanese/Korean) A document about controlling line detection
— V1.1.0, August 9, 2016 —
Two line-drawing-related options were added: a) Use Normal Map for Line Detection, b) Use Depth Adaptation.
A document “ControllingLines.pdf” has been added, which explains the line PP material principles and parameters.
The document also explains the above newly added options. It also has Japanese and Korean versions.
* Added “Use Normal Map for Line Detection” switch in cel shading materials.
* Added “Use Depth Adaptation” switch in PP line material.
* Added ControllingLines.pdf
* Added ControllingLines_jpn.pdf
* Added ControllingLines_kor.pdf
— V1.0.3, August 3, 2016 —
We got japanese version of ReproducingTheDemoVideoScene. Thanks to our translator.
* Added Finished Japanese translation of ReproducingTheDemoVideoScene.pdf
* Changed fonts in LightingControl_jpn.pdf to Kojuka Gothic
— V1.0.2, August 1, 2016 —
Finally, we got some finished translation of our documents from our international friends. Thanks!
Chinese trasnlation is in progress. We expect it will be available in a month.
Japanese translation of ReproducingTheDemoVideoScene is in progress. We expect it will be available in a week.
* Added Finished Japanese translation of LightingControl.pdf
* Added Finished Korean translation of LightingControl.pdf
* Added Finished Korean translation of ReproducingTheDemoVideoScene.pdf
* Added Year of the version release dates in the version history text file.
— V1.0.1, July 26, 2016 —
No actual pack content has been changed in this version.
* The description text was revised.
* An unintended subtle line box around characters in our FeaturedNew image was fixed.
— V1.0.0, July 21, 2016 —
The first version of the pack has been accepted in the UE4 Marketplace.
The accepted version of the pack has been released in Gumroad.
Contact and Support:
support email: email@example.com